- Knitting, purling
- Increasing, decreasing
- Working in the round
- Chart reading
- Stranded knitting
- Colourwork cast-on (instructions in pattern)
Yarn requirementsIn child size sample shown, main colour is the green, and the contrast colour is gold.
Fingering weight yarn required.
- Baby size: approximately 74 yards of main colour and 52 yards of contrast colour - model shown used 16g of Austermann "Royal", 60% merino/20% nylon/10% silk/10% cashmere goat, 50g/219yds, colour #14 and 10.5g of Knit Picks "Stroll", 75% superwash merino/25% nylon, 50g/231yds, colour Barn Red
- Toddler size: approximately 100 yards of main colour and 70 yards of contrast colour
- Child size: approximately 136 yards of main colour and 81 yards of contrast colour - model shown used 28.5g of Scheepjes "Invicta Extra", 75% superwash wool/25% nylon, colour #1350 and 16.5g of Stroll, colour Sunset Multi
- Small adult size: approximately 138 yards of main colour and 93 yards of contrast colour - model shown used 32g of Katia "Darling", 60% superwash merino/40% nylon, 50g/208yds, colour #209 and 23.5g of an unknown fingering weight yarn
- Large adult size: approximately 170 yards of main colour and 114 yards of contrast colour
Other materials needed
- 3mm needles (knitter's choice for whether to use double-pointed needles, one or more circular needles, or a combination)
- Stitch marker
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Gauge34 stitches and rows to 4" in stranded pattern, after blocking
SizingHat is intended to fit with about 10% negative ease.
- Baby: 14" circumference, 6.5" from base to middle of crown
- Toddler: 16" circumference, 7.5" from base to middle of crown
- Child: 18" circumference, 8.5" from base to middle of crown
- Small adult: 20" circumference, 9" from base to middle of crown
- Large adult: 22" circumference, 10" from base to middle of crown